All of this increased awareness in the media and otherwise has led me to think about what more I can do to get even "greener." (For the record, in clothing I am really drawn to blue these days and not green.) I have felt the need to do more than the standard recycling of newspapers and soda cans. (Further for the record I am not, never have been, and probably never will be someone you would consider "granola" or "crunchy.") So far I've come up with a few fairly simple things and as I think of more I'll post about them. Here's what I've got so far:
- I buy the largest size available of products that come in plastic bottles like shampoo and other cosmetics, soda, and cleaning supplies.
- I've conquered my addiction to Olay Daily Facials Express. While these make face washing incredibly easy, it does mean throwing away the little cloth every time.
- I take at least one less napkin at fast food/to-go style restaurants.
- I used to use two paper towels to wipe down the cardio equipment I've been using at the gym and I now only use one.
- I bought re-usable grocery bags. To aviod any financial impact on the grocery bill, I did this one bag at a time for several weeks and I now have enough for the weekly shop.
Those are the highlights. More to come and I am definitely open to suggestions.