13 March 2012

Eleven Questions Meme Part 2

As a follow up to the Queen's Eleven Questions, I was tagged with these Eleven Questions by Ms. Musings.  As before, I am not fully following the rules but here are my answers anyway.

1.  How do you mark the end of the week and the beginning of the weekend?
These days it is when I shut down my PC and put it away in its case.  That is my signal that unless something dire happens, I am off duty until Monday morning.

2.  What is your idea of luxury?
Hotel living.  Has to be a nice hotel, of course, with a real down comforter and a nice bathroom.  What's more luxurious than not having to pick up after yourself, having food of your choosing brought to you, throwing your dirty towels on the floor, or fancy soaps in the bathroom?  A nice hotel can feel downright decadent.

3. Tell me a book, a drink and a food that all complement each other.
Fluffy novel and candy.  Water to drink if you must.

4. What is one thing you love about the house (flat, apartment, yurt, whatever) you live in, and one thing you would change?
I love the location of my house.  I chose my house because of it.  Walk to town, walk to the beach, walk to the train.  Close drive to everything else.  For me, that is perfect.  However, I would change the number of bathrooms by adding a master bath.  I would really, really love to have a master bath (en suite of course).

5. What is something about yourself that you have made peace with?
I really enjoy chick lit/romance novels.  For a long time it was like a dirty little secret, but now I'm out in the open and happy about it.  If you're judging me by what a read, so be it.  I don't think anyone is doing that though.

6. If you’re browsing in a real world bookshop, what will make you pick up a book that you’ve never heard of by an author you aren’t familiar with?
The cover.  I do tend to judge that first.  An attractive cover (that is not part of a woman's body with no head) draws me in every time.

7. If you could (or do) have it your own way, what’s your decorating style? (Plain, floral, girly, austere, classic…?)
Contemporary with a touch of whimsy, but only a few tchotchkes.  I share the decorating at my house with my mother.  Her tastes are more mid-century modern with a nod towards antiques and tchotchkes.  Our tastes mesh well, I think.  Neither of us are very girly or floral and we both love the color red.  If you've been to my house, you've seen that.

8. What never fails to cheer you up?
A candy store, going to the movies, planning a vacation and most of all, Zoe's laugh.

9. What are you going to do when you retire that you don’t have time for now?
Read, go to the movies, go to the theater, go to museums, bake, and drawing/painting.  I do some of these things now, but not nearly as much as I'd like.  Especially the last three items.  I find it very hard to make the time for those things while working and raising Zoe.  I often wonder what I will have time for when Zoe is at college, but I don't like thinking to hard about that either.

10. Given the chance, which house in literature would you move into, and why?
Pemberly?  No, that might be a bit too grand for me.  OK, I'll take Tinker Grey's NYC apartment in Rules of Civilty.

11. What don’t you wear, not because it doesn’t suit you, but because you don’t think you’re the type of person who wears that style/colour/a poncho?
Floral prints.  I never wear them.  I've made occasional exceptions for truly abstracted florals, but anything truly floral you would never find in my wardrobe.

No comments: