09 March 2009

A Broken Promise

One year ago I promised that I would not write and complain about my braces in this blog ever again, but I lied. I have decided that one full year of braces wearing entitles me to one more post complaining about them.

It seems like ever since I hit that one year mark last week (February 27) I realized just how much longer I have to go. I know I should be thinking that I am halfway there. Woo hoo! But, no. Another year feels like a really long time to have to deal with the following:

  • Concern for what food particles are lodged in my teeth after every single meal. This is particularly exacerbated when eating out at a restaurant where I often spend post-eating time either not smiling or covering my mouth with my hand when I do.
  • Awkward smiling. Almost every time I do smile my lips have to navigate their way around these things in my mouth.
  • Seeing them on my smile in pictures. Yuck.
  • Waking up every morning with the insides of my mouth dried onto the braces and gently having to peel them apart.
  • Rubber bands. No one told me about the rubber bands. Miserable little things.
  • The random moments when the inside of my cheek catches on part of the brace. Ouch!
  • The never ending string of orthodontist appointments. Seems like every time I turn around I have to go back there. I like my doctor and most of the people who work at the office, but every 3rd time or so I get the assistant who takes at least twice as long as the others to but the bands back on and it is like torture.
  • The smell of popcorn that I cannot have. I don't miss most of the other banned foods, but popcorn is really tough especially when I am at the movies.
OK, I think that is it for my complaints. I can no longer promise, but I do hope that my next post about braces will be when I get them off!

1 comment:

Emily Barton said...

Well, you're going to hate me for saying this, but I'm sitting here thinking, "Wow! It's already been a WHOLE year since she got braces?" And really, those of us who know you, have completely forgotten you have them (and did so immediately after the first time seeing you with them). I never even noticed them the last time I saw you. That means, despite all these horrible things you've listed, you are one of the few people in the world who makes braces-wearing seem effortless.