28 September 2009

Alphabet History: A is for Apple Picking

I came across this idea at The Public, the Private and Everything in Between and I'm going for it. The idea is to work through the alphabet in short, memoir-like pieces. Anyone who wants to join in, should!

This time of year always makes me think about apple picking, but one of my favorite apple-picking memories is the time we went when I was pregnant. It was October 2001 -- about a month after 9/11. Some friends invited us to go apple picking and then to go back to their house for lunch. The U.S. was about to go to war with Afghanistan and that was all over the news, but we collectively agreed to turn off the news and not discuss it. It is the first post 9/11 memory I have that does not include fear and I think it may have been the day I started to relax.

I can remember so much about that day -- the perfect Fall weather, the leaves just beginning to change, the smell of the mashed apples, the apple-cider doughnuts, and the chili lunch with a choice of vegetarian and non-vegetarian chili -- just to name a few things. It felt so good to be out in the sunshine and to choose the perfect apples from the trees. As corny as it may sound now I felt like I was doing something healthy for my pregnancy too. As if the act of picking apples was somehow nourishing to the baby.

Like so many random days that end up being permanent memories, it is a day that Rob also remembers well. He keeps a picture on his desk of the two of us standing among the apple trees. You can see that my pregnancy is just starting to show. We both look so young and happy. Every time we've been apple-picking since, we compare it to that day.

3 comments:

HT said...

What a lovely memory...

Anonymous said...

Those are Kodak Days - they stick in your head like a memorable photograph. I have a few of those too. We went apple picking two weeks ago - though it wasn't nearly as lovely a memory!

Emily Barton said...

I can both smell AND taste this post. No wonder fall is my favorite season.