08 November 2011

Working from home vs. Working at work

I've been at my new job for about 10 weeks now.  Things are going well and I am very glad I made the move.   I was nervous about adjusting back to work in an office, but that hasn't been too difficult.  However, I have made some observations about the differences (some good, some not) which I will share with you now.

  1. When you are in the office no one expects you to simultaneously work at your job and do housework or errands.  
  2. When you are in the office most of the week you have to set aside time on the weekend for getting the laundry done.
  3. When you are in the office it is not unusual to spend 15 minutes or more just chatting with your co-workers about this and that.  You can actually spend time getting to know each other.
  4. When you are in the office your co-workers can interrupt your work any time they step up to your desk or into your office.
  5. When you are in the office all day you can sometimes come home to find someone else preparing dinner and that is a wonderful thing.
  6. When you are in the office all day you cannot run out to the supermarket at lunchtime and get the [fill in ingredient] you need for the dinner you'd planned.
  7. When you are in the office and have a meeting in a conference room it can be just as hard to concentrate as when you're on the phone at home.
  8. When you are in the office and have conference calls all day you can't help thinking you could have stayed home for that.
  9. When you are in the office (at least in my office) people do look at you funny if you wear jeans.  
  10. When you are in the office no one looks at you funny if you are wearing fabulous high heels and you are likely to be complimented.  

2 comments:

Emily Barton said...

Ahh, yes, the at-om v. at-office dilemma. At least you've experienced both and know the pit falls and advantages of each, so you're not constantly eyeing what looks like much greener grass over on that side.

I especially like that wearing fabulous heels thing. Maybe one of the reasons I started to hate shopping so much was that, as a telecommuter, I was never anywhere that people would admire what i bought.

Anonymous said...

I truly think I could go into work in pyjamas, but I think have an office with a dress code is A Good Thing.