24 August 2005

Visiting niece

My niece has been staying with us for the past few days. She is 17 months. I forgot how much more work that age is! You have to watch her every second. I am amazed that I actually forgot what that was like so quickly. Comparatively, I have it a lot easier now.

It has also struck me strange what a different baby my niece is compared to Zoë. She is quiet and timid where Zoë is boisterous and nosy. She is easily amused and a great eater and Zoë is neither. Now I think I understand what parents of more than one child mean when they talk about how different their kids are. My niece will be a big sister in about 6 more months and now I am very interested to see how that baby will be different in his or her own way.

I went to my first bookclub meeting last night and it was a lot of fun. I'm sorry I never did this sooner. It was a very informal conversation and everyone in the club is very smart and very nice and extremely well read. (I did not divulge that I was currently reading a Roasmund Pilcher novel. Although most of them are into the Harry Potter series which I don't exactly think of as high-brow.) No one was particularly argumentative or dominating. It was quite a success. The next book we read is "The Day of the Locust" by Nathanael West. It was published in 1939 and is about Hollywood. Should be interesting.

This idea of not posting during business hours is going to be hard. I was tempted today, but I managed to hold off.

P.S. Thanks for the comments from my readers. Glad you haven't given up on me. :-)

No comments: