22 August 2005

Return from hiatus

It's been awhile since I've posted. I kind of fell out of the habit when I took my week's vacation. We didn't even go away, but I tried hard to stay away from the computer for most of the week. Coincidentally, there was this article in People magazine that same week about bloggers who have posted about their jobs and consequently lost their jobs. I was then caught up in a little bought of paranoia and I have now decided that it would be prudent to no longer post during business hours. Even if I write an email to myself and post it later, that would be better. There remains some chance of getting caught, I suppose, but my blog hasn't exactly become the talk of the town. I think I average about 2 visitors a day and after the last few weeks of being dry my two faithful readers have probably given up on me any way. Despite that, I shall persevere at blogging.

At the invitation of a colleague, I recently joined a book club. The first selection I read for the club was Train by Pete Dexter. This is not at all the kind of book I would choose for myself. That can be a good thing, but unfortunately, not in this case. For reasons that are unclear to me, this book won the National Book Award. Huh? If anyone can explain to me what is so good about this book, I would be interested to hear it. Tomorrow night the book club meets. I am going to lay low on my opinions and not say that I hated it because I don't want to put everyone off right from the start, but I really hope the next selection is something different.

As an antidote to Train I am now reading Coming Home by Rosamund Pilcher. It is the literary antithesis. Say what you will, the book has 77 amazon.com reviews and four and a half stars.

And now I am off to watch the last episode ever of "Six Feet Under." I tivo'd it last night while I was at the movies seeing "Broken Flowers" with the continues to amaze me with his brilliance, Bill Murray. Its no "Lost in Translation", but it is a good movie -- definitely the best thing I've seen in a long time.

2 comments:

jennifer said...

This faithful reader is still here! What, you think we'd give up on you that quick? :-)

Haven't heard of "Train." I just finished "The Namesake" by Jhumpa Lahiri (sp?), which was very good. Am now trying Jonathan Lethem's "Motherless Brooklyn." I've been reading a lot of him lately. He's very prolific, and good -- but not as utterly consumable as, say, Richard Russo. This guy needs time and patience, but he's extremely talented and unusual. I think you might like him. Try "Fortress of Solitude." (I discovered him via a nonfiction piece in The New Yorker.)

Speaking of The New Yorker, did you happen to notice that last week's issue had a FABULOUS Target ad on the back cover? Then it hit me -- Target? In NYC??? Sure enough, EVERY SINGLE AD in the magazine is for Target, with contributions from several different artists. If you haven't seen it, check it out!

Can't wait to see "Broken Flowers." Have you seen Bill Murray in "Razor's Edge" or "Coffee and Cigarettes"? Netflix 'em, baby. (I think Netflix should morph into a generic word, like Kleenex and Scotch tape.) I am also DYING to see Steve Carrell (whom I've had a crush on since his Daily Show days) in "The 40-Year-Old Virgin." It's getting great reviews, a la Wedding Crashers, so I have high hopes.

BTW, I agree about careful blogging. It goes beyond work, too -- you can't really bitch about family, either, since they may eventually log on. Wouldn't THAT be a fun fire to put out? Um, NOT.

Love ya!

--FlyingSquirrel

Cherie said...

Glad to see your back! I was beginning to get concerned since you had posted in while, glad to hear you were just taking some time off. And I am sure you have more than 2 readers.
I am a fellow mommy & enjoy reading your blog. I recently joined a bookclub in my neighborhood & I will be sure not to add "Train" to our reading list. :)

Cherie
A sahm of 2 in Texas