24 September 2006

One Singular Sensation Indeed!

Some might remember my post of June 8
when I excitedly reported on my purchase of tickets to the revival of A Chorus Line. Well, last night was the night. I went with my mom who was perfect company and I have to say it was everything I'd hoped for and a bit more. The show was excellent. It is still officially in previews so no "real" reviews have come out yet so let mine be among the first.

The revival was complete to the last sequin on the gold costumes in the last number. The set, the costumes, the lighting, the dancing and the singing were all faithfully revived, but it was not just a cold carbon copy. It was vital and very relevant. At first I was thinking it would be nice to see a modern day version of the show, but ultimately I am very glad they decided to keep the show set in the 1970's. In a way this was the very first "reality show" giving people a look into the world of auditions and a window into the souls of all the chorus dancers (and the like) out there who will never be stars. It is their fifteen minutes of fame. Undoubtedly some of the "secrets" that are revealed are somewhat less shocking to the general audience now than they were 20 or 30 years ago, but they still have bite. Standout performers were Deidre Goodwin as Sheila Ken Alan as Bobby and Natalie Cortez as Morales, but it is important to note that there were no weak links on the line. There was a lot of applause throughout the show and many opportunities to express enthusiasm in the form of clapping and cheering, however my only disappointment was that there was no real curtain call and therefore no real chance to give a standing ovation. I imagine, but can't remember that this was part of the original production, but I still hope the director will reconsider because it was a little bit unsatisfactory to not get to clap until your hands hurt. All-in-all I would say that Michael Bennett would be proud. Thank you so much to the cast and crew for an incredible night that made me remember what I love so much about the theater.

No comments: