30 September 2007

The End of Summer

Summer seems to want to linger this year and I am not at all sorry. Each extra day of warmth and sunshine is like a gift and I don't even mind that my lawn has turned mostly brown from lack of rain. And even though some lovely new fall clothes hang patiently in my closet, I have been making an effort to keep wearing my light weight skirts, sandals and summery t-shirts. I want to take advantage of every day where no coat, scarf, or gloves are needed.

I just read a really great poem here, which has inspired me to put one of my own poems here...

The water like a slate
and the insects have all come
to share their secrets.

Listen closely.
It's a long way from home,
but little is asked of you.

They collect their toll in drops,
and stings,
leaving behind only a
permanent stain.
The dragonfly floats and stares
and delivers the summation.

Watch and don't turn away.
Just remember.

The butterflies already know,
their golden flash is the only thing
briefer.

No comments: