03 October 2010

The Time Traveler's Meme

I was tagged by the Queen herself for this one and since I helped provide the inspiration, I felt I really should take part in this meme.


The Rules:
1. Depending on your age, go back 10, 15, 20, or even more years.
2. Tell us how many years back you have traveled.
3. Pretend you have met yourself during that era, and tell us where you are.
4. You only have one "date" with this former self.
5. Answer the questions.


I'm going back 20 years...to my 19 year old self who would be a junior in college.

1. Would your younger self recognize you when you first meet?
I'm pretty sure I would recognize myself. I look pretty much the same, just older. However, I wasn't very self-aware when I was 19 so then again, I might not.

2. Would she be surprised to discover what you are doing job wise?
Definitely. I was a theater major and imagined my future was all about costume design. I think I thought I'd either be teaching full time or working full time at a theater by now. The idea of the internet and even email just barely registered on my radar at 19. I don't think I could have imagined how much time I would spend working on a computer producing work to be used on computers. I think my younger self would be disappointed that I'd left behind art, but very interested in the internet.

3. What piece of fashion advice would you give her?
Over-sized clothes should really be avoided. It is not a good look no matter what. And wear a lot more short skirts while you can. Otherwise, continue to enjoy all the trendy stuff through your 20s.

4. What do you think she is most going to want to know?
I think she will most want to know when she will find "the one." My 19 year-old self cared a lot about having a boyfriend and thought a lot about getting married. Somehow that was the answer to everything.

5. How would you answer her question?
I would tell her that you will find "the one", but in the mean time you should enjoy the ride a lot more. Once you get out of college, a lot more boys will notice you and you should enjoy their company and be confident that the right guy is out there and you'll know it when you finally get together with him.

6. What would probably be the best thing to tell her?
Be a lot more confident. A whole lot more. Don't let people treat you badly. Take graphic design classes. Learn how to manage money and do it.

7. What is something that you probably wouldn't tell her?
I wouldn't tell her about September 11th. I wouldn't want to scare her away from living in NYC and there would be no way to explain it that would make any sense.

8. What do you think will most surprise her about you?
The fact that I don't work in theater and do work with computers and web sites. I always knew I wanted to get married and I think I assumed having at least one kid would go along with that. I think I'd be mildly surprised to learn I live back in CT. At 19 I didn't think I'd ever come back.

9. What do you think will least surprise her?
That I am still friends with Karen and Heather. I don't think I could ever imagine my life not including them.

10. At this point in your life, would you like to run into "you" from the future?
Yes, I would love to! I could go for some advice just like this and I'd really like to have a peak how life looks at 59.

If you haven't been tagged by the Queen already, then consider yourself tagged now.

1 comment:

HT said...

I LOVED reading this meme- as I lived with the 19 year old you! xo xo ht