22 February 2011

Popcorn in Bed

Last week  I was in Dallas visiting my amazing friends Karen and Ashton, their daughter, and their brand new  baby boy.  Zoe and I went there together (sadly Rob had to stay home) and even though we didn't do anything  like Disney or theatre or fancy schmancy restaurants, I had one of the best vacations ever.  It started out about as well as a trip can start with a smooth and easy travel experience.  From there, it only got better. 

It was so good to just be with my friends.  Isn't that always the way with visits with friends that are too far away? Holding, feeding, changing their new baby (who I think of as a nephew) was an absolute delight.  It is amazing how much you forget about newborns when it has been awhile since you were around one.  There was Tex-Mex, good burgers, some rollerskating, some shopping, some playground time and a lot of frozen yogurt, talking and girl-time.  As per usual Karen and I picked up right where we left off.

One of the highlights of the trip, however, was simply watching TV and movies in bed with my friends after the kids went to sleep. Karen and Ashton were generous enough to let me have a whole third of their bed and it was all very cozy and very relaxing.  (No funny business, you dirty minds.)  My last night in town we even had popcorn in bed.  Not just any popcorn, either.  We had gourmet popcorn including what was the best caramel corn I have ever had (Hannah's Caramel Popcorn from Uptown Popcorn).  As Ashton put it, it touched a previously unknown source of pleasure and happiness. 

2011 got off to a bit of  a rough start, but this trip really gave it a fresh glow. 

No comments: