19 May 2011

My Slugger

Those of you who follow me on Twitter or Facebook already know that Zoe is playing softball this year.  It is her first year and she is in the "A" Division which is for the youngest girls.  She is actually oldest among the youngest, but that is a whole birthdate thing that probably works in her favor. (If you've read Malcolm Gladwell's The Outliers, you know what I mean.)

Zoe never really expressed an interest in softball, but I really thought she should try a team sport and I don't know why, but I thought she would be good at softball as well as really enjoy it.  Happily I have been right on both counts (so far, of course).

Turns out this has also been good for me.  In some moment of weakness or maybe it was something else, I volunteered to be the team manager.  I don't know the first thing about softball, but Zoe's team had no manager and since managing is definitely in my skill-set I agreed (a little begrudgingly, I must admit).  I have never really been a big volunteer at school or other kid-related activities.  Its just not my thing.  So label me surprised because I have to say it has actually been, well, fun.  I've made some new friends in the team coaches and parents and feel like I am part of a new community plus I feel like I am helping to make the experience special for Zoe since it is our thing together now.

I'm really proud of how Zoe has done on the team so far.  I enjoy the fact that it really is about learning the game for the girls at this age so the competitive factor is low.  I was told at my first managers meeting that the goal of A Division is to get the girls to want to come back and play again next year.  I think our team, The Purple Bulldogs, is doing a good job working toward that goal.  Overall, despite the fact that it has given both Zoe and I very busy schedules this spring, softball has been a great addition to our lives.

All this has really been so I can post this photo:

1 comment:

Emily Barton said...

I'm not at all surprised that Zoe is liking it and that she's good (is there anything that kid can't do?). However, I am still amazed that you volunteered to manage. Way to go, you!

P.S. The picture is adorable.