26 May 2012

On being a pin cushion

Let me start this off by saying I am fine now.  I am on the mend and will be good as new in no time.  

On Monday I was scheduled for a minor surgical procedure much like the one I had last summer.  Since that procedure went so easily I really wasn't concerned about this one and was really just annoyed by the inconvenience and timing since work is so crazy right now.  

I should have realized things would not go as smoothly when the nurse was starting my IV for the procedure tried and failed twice and then had to call in another nurse to finally get it in.  It doesn't hurt a lot in the scheme of things, but it doesn't feel good either.  

Next thing I knew I was waking up from surgery and getting ready to go home.  That part is a little fuzzy.  However, I was definitely in more pain than the last time.  The pain continued the next day.  Pain killers helped and the doctor said the pain I was experiencing was probably a side effect of the anesthesia.  By Wednesday morning I was sick and couldn't keep anything down and I was directed to the ER where I was admitted, cat scanned, and pumped full of IV antibiotics -- once the IV was inserted after 2 attempts.  I was told that I may need more surgery and that they wanted to keep me for observation.  Re-scan revealed that I could go home after a full night and day of observation.  

If you've ever spent a night in the hospital you know there is very little rest involved.  It was a long night that included one more IV insertion when I accidentally pulled mine out in the hour of sleep I managed.  I finally got home Thursday night.  Yesterday I felt better, and today I feel better still. However, I look like a heroin addict so I have to be a careful not to get arrested this weekend.  

Let's not forget poor Zoe.  This was an awful week for her.  She was scared of me going in for surgery to begin with and seeing me so unwell was really hard for her.   My mom and Rob were scared too and I hated seeing all of them so upset and worried about me.  It is my job to worry about them.  There were a lot of things I hated about this experience like the pain, like interrupting everyone's life, like needing to be cared for, but I hated that part the most.  

I am grateful to my family who have taken such good care of me.  My mom has been simply amazing and I know am incredibly lucky.  


Emily Barton said...

Those sounds horrible! Hospitals are no. fun. at. all. Glad to hear you're on the mend (and can get back to worrying about everyone else instead of having them all worrying about you).

Courtney said...

So sorry you had to go through this! Wishing you a quick recovery and a return to your "old" self shortly - and no more surgeries!