13 May 2008

Anticipation

Every year towards the end of February I get really sick and tired of feeling cold and I start to look forward to summer like a child anticipates opening presents on Christmas morning. In my neck of the woods spring is now unfolding into summer in such a delightfully slow way that I don't even want summer to come yet. It should stay the equivalent of December 24th a little longer. I want to keep on being teased by a warm, beautiful day followed by a chilly evening here, a balmy night after a day of rain there for a few extra weeks.

Summer is my favorite time of year because I always feel freer in the warm weather. I love being able to sit outside, to leave the house without a jacket, to enjoy the long evenings. I seem to do more in the summers -- both work and play.

There are lots of activities going on in and around my house in preparation for summer and it is getting really exciting. Today the pool was unwrapped from it's winter coat and it is nice to see the gurgling water again. The lilacs are just beginning their brief stint as star of the show, the outdoor furniture has begun its migration to the backyard and Zoƫ has started leaving a ring around the tub again. Usually I am in such a hurry to get to the full-on summer that I hardly notice spring, but this year I am trying not to rush.

We can never know about the days to come
But we think about them anyway
And I wonder if I'm really with you now
Or just chasing after some finer day.

Anticipation, Anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting

1 comment:

HT said...

Beautiful imagery Marcy- I can just picture the backyard! Though I wonder... Is Spanky still hanging on back there?