16 June 2008

Abandoning books

In anticipation of my upcoming trip to Venice (so excited!) I started reading The City of Falling Angels last week because I thought it would be great to have some background on the city. The problem is I'm really not loving this book. As a matter of fact, I am finding it kind of boring, but I am over halfway done and even though I want to I just can't cast it aside. I know that Becky is right when she says "life is too short," but the combination of feelings of guilt and defeat are killing me. I cannot abandon books unless they are truly awful.

Now I've made an even more foolish choice -- I have started a second book. Reading more than one book at a time usually slows things down to the extreme, but I am hoping that doesn't happen this time and I actually manage to finish both books before I leave for the airport. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Emily Barton said...

I now how hard it is to abandon a book (being someone who claims she abandons books after page 30 if she isn't really into them, and then spends a good deal of time getting to page 30 and convincing herself she really is into this poorly-written, piece of trash mystery, because it takes place in New York, or some such thing), but sometimes, it really is the best thing to do. Maybe the other book you picked up will take over so much you'll abandon it without really noticing.

Rebecca H. said...

A trip to Venice! How fun. I have a lot of trouble abandoning books too. I will if it is unbelievably bad and long, but otherwise I tend to stick with it. It's a habit I probably should break ...

ZoesMom said...

I still haven't given it up, but if I don't finish it by Friday I absolutely will.