13 June 2008

Happy Anniversary

Today is my brother and sister-in-law's 11th wedding anniversary and I want to once again wish them a happy anniversary.

Here's last year's post which also links to the previous year's post.

On a lighter note, one memory of their wedding day that always makes me laugh is when I was helping Brenda, the bride, get ready. The ceremony was supposed to be held outside, but the weather was looking a lot like rain so a last minute decision was made to move the ceremony inside. Brenda was understandably unhappy with the weather's failure to cooperate with her wedding dreams and in an effort to be helpful and lighten things up I told her that in Jewish culture it is considered good luck if it rains on your wedding day.

She turned to me and said, "Well I am not Hopi and I am not a Jew so it really just sucks."

And then after a moment we both burst out laughing. Apparently someone else had told her that Hopi Indian culture also believes it is good luck to have rain on your wedding day. Even though I wasn't quite helpful we did end up laughing which was really good. I called Brenda a Hopi-Jew for a long time after that.

No comments: