13 July 2008

A tale of two weekends

Because I took Friday off from work my weekend officially kicked-off on Thursday night with a night out. My sister-in-law invited me to her house to be a fill-in in her Bunco game and I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was happy just to spend an evening with my sister-in-law. It turned out to be a really nice girls' night out. For those of you (like me) who've never heard of Bunco before I would say the word "Bunco" probably means good excuse to get together, eat, drink wine and talk.

Friday was just gorgeous in every way. After putting Zoë on the bus for camp and hitting the gym all that was left was to relax. Becky joined me for the ideal triumvirate of mani/pedi, lunch, and leisurely shopping. Sounds like it can't get better, right? But it does. Early evening Emily arrived at my house with two bags of groceries from Trader Joe's. At that point we cracked open the wine and spent the entire evening sitting around my kitchen table talking and talking and talking. And eating! Emily cooked up a delicious pasta casserole and Becky brought a delightful homemade dessert. I was quite spoiled by all the food and the good conversation. A house guest who also cooks dinner is welcome at my place absolutely anytime! On the whole the evening, as well as the entire day, was so leisurely and relaxed that I felt like I was back on vacation.

That feeling of calm and relaxation continued into Saturday afternoon -- even Zoë was into it until the complete shift in gears when my 10 year-old cousin Asher arrived to spend the night. He and Zoë immediately got into their bathing suits and headed out back to the pool. I was on life guard duty. They had a fantastic time splashing around in the pool and I really got a kick out of watching them play together. You wouldn't think a 10 year-old boy would be interested in hanging out with a 6 year-old girl, but he was -- much to Zoe's delight. As a matter of fact it was Asher who requested the sleepover a few weeks ago. I was more than happy to have him because he is a great kid and Zoë just adores him.

Saturday night Rob and I took them both out to dinner at the fine-dining establishment that is Pizzeria Uno where I truly enjoyed introducing Asher to the root beer float, doing word finds with them both and discussing whether it would be better to watch "Bee Movie" or "Ratatouille" when we got home. I felt like I was experiencing the joys and noise level of a 2-child family and it was really fun, if a little loud.

The fun and noise continued today and maxed out this afternoon when I had a little birthday party for my Dad. There was a total of 7 kids swimming in the pool, eating hot dogs, chasing each other around the house and generally taking over. Again, it was very fun, but quite loud. I felt like I hardly talked to anyone because I was so busy running around.

Now that Zoë is in bed I am sitting here in my once again quiet house I am feeling quite pleased with my weekend experiences. I definitely had the best of two worlds.

1 comment:

Emily Barton said...

Sounds like a perfect weekend to me. Of course, I was there for half of it. Can't wait to come back and do it again. However, you might want to put some of the math books under lock and key :-)!