02 July 2009

The 3/50 Project

I just read this post from traciedesigns and I had to share it too because I think it is a great idea.

I'm sure everyone has noticed lots of local businesses disappearing in the last 6 months to a year. I know I've lost a couple of favorite spots (including my beloved Katzenbergs). The 3/50 Project is simple: pick 3 local, independently owned businesses you really like and commit to spending $50 a month in each.

For more info, background and some great statistics, visit the 3/50 Project website.

I'm on board, how about you? If so, spread the word!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

That really is a great idea! As a family we have also decided to try and support the little guy. Shop at Mom and Pop stores when we can and eat at independently owned restaurants vs the big franchises.

Stephanie said...

Hey I'm back.
I posted an award for you over at my blog!

Anne Camille said...

I saw the 3/50 project advertised at a locally owned restaurant recently. I didn't spend $50, but it might be hard to spend that much at this particular restaurant in one trip. I didn't realize that it was a national campaign. I try to frequent local business when I can, especially restaurants. We have just about every national chain in my town. I've heard, though I don't know whether it is true, that we're a restaurant test market. I'd rather eat local -- both food and restaurant ownership. Food is better & I like that there are closer ties to the community.