18 February 2009

Words for Wednesday: Crowing

It has been over a month since I posted a "Words for Wednesday" post. I've thought about it, but mostly forgot about it until I read Emily's post from last night about her music discussion with Bob. That very funny story motivated me this morning so I am throwing my hat (or my blog) back into the ring.

This week's song is "Crowing" by Toad the Wet Sprocket. I have loved this song since the first time I ever heard it -- especially since at that time I was going through a particularly painful heartache. It used to bring tears to my eyes and even today I still get a tingly kind of feeling when I hear it.

Overall I think the song is about not being able to change someone, a lesson that can be just so hard to learn sometimes. The chorus is all about that. "You give him love and affection but you couldn't keep him there." At the same time it says that you can't make yourself into something you're not "And the more skin that you shed the more that the air in your throat will linger when you call him your friend," says that so perfectly.

Crowing

Been waiting
To find
You could've been happier
Given the time
If he'd make up his mind
You'd give yourself to anybody
Who would cross that line

chorus:
And it was never question
He was crowing for repair
You'd give him love and affection
But you couldn't keep him there

Get over regrets
While you were sleeping with the angels
He was under the bed
And the more skin
That you shed
The more that the air in your throat will linger
When you call him your friend

chorus

Staring at a cold little hand
Reading fault lines
Of a shell of a man
You were waiting for a word from above
Wouldn't you know it
No answer ever did come

And it was never question
You were crowing for repair
You'd give him love and affection
But you couldn't keep him there

1 comment:

Emily Barton said...

I've never really listened to Toad the Wet Sprocket, but these are great lyrics!