03 October 2005

L'shanah tovah

Rosh Hashanah starts tonight at sundown. That's about as Jewish/Hebrew speaking as I get. My family will eat a traditional brisket tonight while I have chicken. I'm not that good at the Jewish holidays.

Actually, I just googled "L'shanah tovah" for proper spelling and learned a lot more about Rosh Hashanah from the website Judaism 101. This is a pretty good site for learning about all things Jewish.

For example; the greeting "L'shanah tovah" is a shortening of "L'shanah tovah tikatev v'taihatem" (or to women, "L'shanah tovah tikatevi v'taihatemi"), which means "May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year." In case you're wondering what you are to inscribed in, that would be the "book of life." According to Jewish belief God has "books" that he writes our names in, writing down who will live and who will die, who will have a good life and who will have a bad life, for the next year. These books are written in on Rosh Hashanah and sealed on Yom Kippur.

Another thing I learned is that the new year according to the Jewish calendar will be the year 5766.

To celebrate in my own way I will be taking the day off from work tomorrow to go and help out the NYC economy. My credit cards are already trembling!

P.S. Spell check wasn't much help with this posting!

No comments: