27 January 2008

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

Confidence buoyed by some supportive friends, I am making an attempt at writing better (and more) book reviews. I thought it fitting that I should start with the first book I've gotten as an Early Reviewer through Library Thing.

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

I have to say I enjoyed this book despite myself. I couldn't put it down even though it read just like a Lifetime made for TV movie.

The story itself is one that has been told many, many times and I guess that is what makes this book good and bad. It is a classic kind of story, but very little new life has been brought to it. It is the story of best friends and the progression of their friendship as they grow, mature, go their own ways in the world and as they fall apart. You do come to know the characters quite well and the story is not always predictable. The male characters are unsurprisingly one-dimensional and all the women are strong and talented in their own way. And at the end, I found myself welling up with tears as my heartstrings were tugged.

Overall, I would say this is a perfect vacation read. It sucks you in, but doesn't make you think too hard.

No comments: