24 November 2008

SXSW Tour: We Made It!

Day 3 went very well. We were on schedule all day hitting the road by 8AM and keeping the stops to a minimum. The day's highlights included breakfast at the Loretta Lynn Kitchen (not sure if it is an officially sanctioned Loretta Lynn restaurant, but I've had worse), a disappointing stop at a rest stop that promised TCBY frozen yogurt, but the frozen yogurt machines turned out to be broken, and Tex-Mex food for dinner in the Texas side of Texarkana. We arrived in Dallas around 9:30PM and stayed up talking until Rob passed out from all the driving around midnight.

All-in-all it was a really good drive. I didn't have to do any of the actual driving so I found it very relaxing to just sit there and watch the world go by. As a matter of fact this is the most relaxed I've felt in quite some time. Kentucky and Tennessee were really not my cup of tea (even sweet tea) although I am sure we missed most of the good stuff. I have been to Louisville, KY before so I know not all of KY is like the Wal-Mart and Horse Cave hotel experience we had, and I've been to Nashville and Memphis, but this time we just drove on past those spots. What we did see seemed to be from an alternate universe where people do a lot of hunting and wear Clint Black t-shirts. Not at all what I'm used to, I guess, but everyone was friendly so I can't complain too much.

SXSW Tour: Days 4, 5, 6

Destinations: in and around Dallas/Ft. Worth area

Sights: to include, but not limited to the King Tut exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art, Highland Park Village shops, Dallas Zoo, movies, and many kid-friendly restaurants.

On Thanksgiving Day we're headed out to Athens, TX for Thanksgiving at the ranch belonging to our friend's family. That will definitely be a different way to spend the day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing that you can drive across the United States and feel like you are in a different country all at the same time. I hope eeyore arrived!