27 May 2005

Summer reading list

Looks like this is going to be a really good summer for reading. There are several books coming out that I am really looking forward to (in no particular order):

Until I Find You : A Novel by John Irving
I'm not sure, but I think I have read every word John Irving has ever published. My love affair with him started way back when I picked my father's copy of The Hotel New Hampshire off the shelf. That was quite an eye-opener for an 11 year-old.

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
I have been waiting for another novel from Nick Hornby. However, I don't think he will ever top High Fidelity.

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella.
Yes, it's "chicklit", but I like Sophie Kinsella's work. It's good like candy is good -- and anyone who knows me knows how I feel about candy.

The Other Woman by Jane Green.
See above comment about "chicklit." I have read all of Jane Green's books -- no reason to stop now when she has never let me down.

Goodnight Nobody : A Novel by Jennifer Weiner.
Actually this book is not coming out until September 20, but I that is still technically summer. I have read all of Jennifer Weiner's books too so again, there is no reason to stop now. She is a consistently good author with a real feel for presenting a sympathetic point of view towards almost all women. I find that a lot of women authors of her type of books tend to only have one (or two at most) women characters that are palatable -- the rest are just not likeable and often comic book evil.

Currently I am reading Object Lessons by Anna Quindlen.
This book is kind of a disappointment compared to her other novels. It is so depressing that I am not even sure I will finish it.

1 comment:

david said...

zoe's mom has a perrty cool blog. based on your list there, i think you'd dig my new novel behind everyman. add it to your summer list, and let me know what you think.

blog on.