09 May 2005

Time for a haircut

My husband called about an hour ago and from the tone of his voice I seriously thought someone had died. I had good reason to think this as he had to go to his parent's house last night to tend to his mother who had a nosebleed that wouldn't stop. But that is an entirely different subject for another time.

"Honey, (long pause during which I wonder who is dead) I am so mad," he says.
"Why?" I asked rather alarmed.
"Zoƫ used her scissors to cut her own hair," he seethed.
"Oh!" I burst with relief.

Apparently she did quite a job on herself, but honestly you would have thought she set the rug on fire or spit at him like those awful kids on SuperNanny. I think the part that made him angriest is that when he came back into the room, the first thing she said to him was "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that." His interpretation is that she knew better, but I kind of think she didn't really. She only knew better after the fact. She is hardly the first kid to cut her own hair. I did it. Everyone does it. Luckily she's only three so its really not a big deal. Not like my friend's little sister who at age 11 cut her own bangs while watching TV one afternoon and then had to face middle school the next day.

The good thing is that it is usually a lesson learned once that never has to be repeated. However, I'm not sure my husband will recover. I instructed him to take her for a haircut and that will make it look a little better. He seemed to be a little comforted by this idea. I know he wouldn't be nearly so upset if this hadn't happened on "his watch." I can't help giggling over the whole thing and I can't wait to see what her hair looks like! I will be sure to take lots of pictures for good reminders. Too bad I was hoping to let her hair grow a little longer this summer...

1 comment:

ZoesMom said...

Update...
Not even a haircut could rescue the situation. She has quite the almost bald patch on the side of her head. Too funny. Happily, my husband has finally seen the humor in it too.